Cynthia L. Lazar
Cynthia L. Lazar has been practicing law in the State of Illinois since 1981. Her practice concentrates exclusively in the area of Family Law. Family law includes such areas as divorce; child custody; parenting time; spousal and child support; property division; division of retirement benefits; tax consequences of divorce; mediation; annulments; paternity; prenuptial agreements; change of domicile; domestic violence and post-judgment proceedings.
Attorney Lazar is a certified Collaborative Law attorney and a fellow of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois. In 2015, she received the honor of being selected to the 2015 list as a member of the Nation's Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel (NADC). Only the top one percent of attorneys in the United States are awarded membership in the NADC. Cynthia L. Lazar is a Fellow of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals.
Cynthia L. Lazar is a certified professional Family Law Mediator. She is a Member of the Mediation Council of Illinois. Based on her training and experience, she has been named to the 19th Judicial Circuit Lake County, Illinois Family Law List of Approved Mediators.
Cynthia L. Lazar has been appointed by the Lake County Court to act as Guardian Ad Litem and Child Representative in custody and visitation proceedings. To maintain this qualification she engages in continuous training. She has extensive experience involving cases with complex custody issues, including cases with special needs children and mental health issues. She has worked with clients in collaborative, mediation and traditional litigation to resolve child related disputes.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law 100%
- Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2003
- Chicago Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Honors: Law Review: Chicago Kent Law Review
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: James Madison College
- Major: French, University of Rennes, France
Honors and Awards
- Selected to the 2015-2019 list as a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel (NADC).
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best for 2015 to 2019 Client Satisfaction
- The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers
- Rue Ratings, Best Attorneys of America, Lifetime Charter Member
- Fellow, Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- Fellow, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- 19th Judicial Circuit Lake County, Illinois Family Law List of Approved Mediators
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Association of Women Attorneys of Lake County
- Mediation Council of Illinois, Board of Directors
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, Fellow
- Lilac Tree Referral Panel Member
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Fellow
Past Employment Positions
- United States Department of Labor, Washington, D.C.
- United States Senate, Committee on Labor and Public Welfare, Washington, D.C.
- Judge Harold Rubin, Chief Administrative Law Judge, Illinois Fair Employment Practices Commission, Law Clerk
- Montessori School, Rennes, France
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteers Lawyers Program
- Lake County Mediation Program
- Child's Advocacy
- Conflict Resolution and Divorce Mediation