Parenting Plans

Effective January 1, 2016, the word “custody” no longer appears in Illinois statutes. Instead, family law attorneys will assist their clients in preparing an “Allocation Judgment” which allocates parenting responsibilities and sets forth a parenting plan.

The Allocation Judgment includes a wide range of information, including:

  • A schedule reciting when each parent will have parenting time with the children
  • Each parent’s right of access to children’s records
  • Transportation arrangements for the children
  • Provisions regarding communication with the children during the other parent’s parenting time
  • An allocation of significant decision-making responsibilities, including education, health, religion and extracurricular activities

Remember: It’s About The Child’s Best Interest

It is understandable that both parents will feel they offer the best home environment for their children. They may also both have legitimate concerns about the other’s parenting abilities or worry about being left out of their child’s upbringing.

No matter what, children should NEVER be used as a weapon or a bargaining chip. There is only one legitimate reason to contest a parenting plan, and that is because a parent believes that the proposed parenting plan is not in the child’s best interest. This could be for many reasons, including:

  • Physical or emotional abuse
  • Neglect
  • Substance abuse

Divorce is difficult on children even in the best of circumstances; it is unacceptable to cause additional emotional pain and make that suffering worse in an unnecessary parenting plan battle. As an appointed child advocate in Lake County and an experienced divorce attorney, I am very sensitive to the needs of children in these situations.

Put My Experience To Work For You

As a proven divorce lawyer, I can help you work through all of your parenting plan-related issues, including visitation, modification of parenting plans and relocation. Contact my office in Libertyville today to schedule a consultation where we can discuss reaching a parenting agreement you can live with.


My Law Firm Offers The Following Family Law Services:

divorce & family law